Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Playing Catch-up

Ok, this time I'm really going to do two posts. I promise. I hope.

It was hard going on the manifesto at first. I typed up two pages for the rough draft last week to bring to class for peer reading, but I ended up scrapping every last word that I had written and starting from scratch. I'm not sure if the six pages and some change that ensued were at all convincing or well argued, but I am sure that I wrote a manifesto and not a persuasive essay. It got easier as I went on and my rant seemed to gain momentum. I always worry about losing focus if I just start writing off the top of my head without taking the time to make sure I'm staying on task, but I guess that's OK to a certain extent here.

Another issue that came up is I realized that I'm not exactly an authority on webcomics. I mean, I follow two pretty regularly, but that hardly qualifies me as an expert on the subject. Furthermore, the webcomics that I follow are video game focused. I tried to write the paper and pick comics that don't require any knowledge of video games. A lot of the strips don't even talk about video games directly, anyway, and I think they're funny enough to stand on their own. Unfortunately, time was kind of a factor when I was trying to print it out in the morning, and I realized that trying to paste webcomic strips onto a Word document is a pain in the ass. I had to really shrink the strips, lowering their quality and distorting the proportions. Hopefully they're still readable. I had wanted to use my roommate's printer, but he was asleep at the time and his printer was low on ink, anyway. So I ended up having to pay over two bucks to print it out in the computer lab. Weak. Submitted below for you entertainment is one of the strips I discuss in my manifesto. It's a Penny Arcade strip ominously titled "I Hope You Like Text".

No comments: