Sunday, March 2, 2008

Excuses, excuses...

I want to get this out of the way right away: I don't have Portraits from Life at the moment. I was planning on buying it this weekend, but...well, it didn't quite work out. Friday was Unofficial, so suffice it to say that not a whole lot got done. Saturday was my 21st birthday, so again, not much productivity there. Today, I woke up in the middle of the afternoon, and by the time I was showered, dressed, and decent, TPS and the Union Bookstores were closed. Follett's was open, but they didn't have what I needed. Hopefully I'll be able to find it at the other bookstores tomorrow, otherwise I'll probably have to order it online or something. I'll work it out somehow.

Anyway, that means this post is now about the mini-comic. At first, I had no idea what I would want to do. However, as I was sitting in class, listening to the description of the assignment, I remembered a conversation that my friend and I had last semester. We had been talking about how his dad and his dad's dad had both gone to U of I before him, and there was a sort of legacy expected of him. Both men had left their mark at the University, and the same would be expected of him. In particular, his dad told him a story about him and his friends venturing into the underground steam tunnels. We both thought that was a really cool idea since there are openings to the steam tunnels everywhere and you always wonder what's down there.

So we got to thinking: what if there's something down there. Some sort of Cthulu creature that has been lurking down there since the school's founding. Maybe generations of my friend's family line have sworn a blood oath to slay the creature and that's actually why they've always gone here for college. I don't know. We were bored and we have overactive liberal arts major imaginations. But I think it might make a decent enough hook for a mini-comic.

No comments: